Friday, August 27, 2010

It's A ______!

On Monday August 16th we were scheduled for our 18 week anatomy and gender scan. I was nervous & excited about making sure this baby was healthy & also to learn what the sex was. Sunday I ran on high all day staying very busy and occupied. I tend to do this when I have any anxiety. After my husband and son went to bed I found myself wide awake with sleep no where in sight. I ended up in Janessa’s room wrapped up in the prayer shawl blanket I received, sitting by her window looking out and listening to the rain. It reminded me of the many many weeks it rained straight through after Janessa passed away. I wondered if it was a sign of sort. I couldn’t make sense of what that could be but relished in the relax factor it was bringing me. I said a prayer asking that the baby would be healthy and that no matter what the gender was going to be it would all be fine. I know that in the future no matter if this is a boy or girl I won’t be able to imagine our lives without them in it.

When we arrived at the ultrasound room that Monday morning we were only one of two patients there. We usually get called in fairly quickly but this time, of course when we are anxiously waiting we had quite a wait. We finally made into the room with the tech and like each and every single visit I had to explain why I was high risk and about losing Janessa. There are pros and cons with this. We get a little extra care treatment and concern but it is also very hard to tell the story each visit.

She asked us if we would like to know the gender and then proceeded with the scan. I remember seeing this bay’s face for the first time at our 12 week NT scan. The first thing out of my mouth was “It looks like a boy huh?” to my husband. He amusingly said “I don’t know, I can’t tell”. lol She made us wait until she was finished but I was right, IT’S A BOY! When she was scanning we thought we saw his goods and we were pretty sure it was a boy. He of course would not sit still again and the scan took a lot longer than usual because she had to keep trying to get the measurements for each part numerous times. I have to admit of my three children this one is definitely the one who moves the most.

They had found a white spot in Janessa’s heart which led to us having a second level ultrasound. It turned out to be nothing of concern and they believed it to be a calcium deposit. That finding is pretty common. She found the same white spot on this baby. I would be lying if I said it didn’t worry me. As a mother I cannot turn that off. I am scheduled to have many more ultrasounds and I am 100% positive they will be checking the heart many more times.

I would also be lying if I said that hearing the gender did not stir up a mix of emotions that has been quite messy to sort through. There were tears in the office, on the way to the car and on the way home and they weren’t for any particular reason. They were for all that we have been through. They are for the fact the baby is healthy. They were for what lies ahead on the path for us. This post is late because I needed time to digest it all.

We are so happy that the baby is healthy. We also received some great test results from the blood test that was taken along with the NT test. It screens the risk factor for having a baby that has Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18 or an Open Neural Tube Defect. As the doctor stated “We got an A”. Our chances were the lowest possible of 1 in 10,000 for all three.

So here are some pics of our baby boy!

Sucking his thumb

A pic of his face

The top of his head and arms

Unfortunately the new hospital we go to does not allow children in the exam rooms so we were unable to take JJ with us to find out if he was having a little sister ort brother. We were a little upset because he was able to be there when we found out for Janessa. Since he could not come we wanted to do something cute to tell him. He was at my mother’s home while we went. When we went to pick him up we had a baby blue balloon waiting in the car for him:


Here he is learning he is going to have the baby brother he has always wanted!






 
He is so excited.

We also went to the store and picked out an outfit and little toy for this little guy.

 

8 comments:

Lisette said...

I am glad that the scan went well and your baby is doing great.
Your son is so sweet, the pictures are priceless.

((HUGS))

Heather said...

That's just so exciting! So many rainbow boys are being carried right now!

Jill said...

Yay for a good scan! Congrats on a boy. Love the pictures.

brigette said...

So exciting! I am glad that everything looks good!! So happy for you

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is beautiful news. Congratulations!

Sarita Boyette said...

Congratulations on your healthy baby boy! I love his little outfit and toy, and also the way you told your son. The baby's pictures are just darling! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

so excited for your healthy baby boy!! I feel a play date coming on next spring or summer with our rainbow baby boys :)

Crystal Theresa said...

congratulations :) that is wonderful news that your little one gets an "A" ;). the photos of big brother are just precious!

Check out my Etsy Shop!