Saturday, May 8, 2010

Prayer Shawl

I received a touching gift in the mail a few weeks ago. It was a hand knitted beautiful prayer shawl. It was sent by Connie, the mom of my childhood best friend, Meagan.


Connie lost her daughter Kelly 3 months after we lost Janessa. Kelly had just turned 35. We experienced a different type of loss but we both lost our daughter’s & we are both traveling down this road.

The shawl is just gorgeous. She included a card & it explained all about it as well as a beautiful prayer. I had never heard of a prayer shawl such as this one before.

It was knit especially for Janessa & I. Each stitch that was made was a prayer for us. The colors were chosen to represent femininity, mothers & daughters. The colors are also significant because purple is for hope & pink is for healing. The colors just happen to match Janessa's nursery. She also put little charms on the fringe to honor our little girl.


She placed Janessa’s name with a cross, angel & also a heart locket that I can place her picture in. She also placed a little teddy bear with baby pins. She included a sunflower to honor her daughter Kelly. Sunflowers were her favorite flower. I look forward to adding special charms as time goes on. Depending on the weather I may bring it with me to Janessa’s memorial service along with the handkerchief I received from For Your Tears.

Shawls are made & given to bring peace & comfort to those facing life changing events in their life. Some include marriage, illness, birth of a baby or grief.

“The power of the prayer shawl is in its physical properties and source of warmth. It feels like a hug and serves as a reminder that people are praying for you and whatever your concern is. There always seems to be someone in need of a shawl, and in the course of making each one you come to feel closer to the person who will receive it. The gift of a prayer shawl enables the recipient to be surrounded by prayer, and is a tangible reminder of God’s care and love, encouragement and inspiration.

The shawl maker begins the shawl with prayers and blessings for the recipient. Upon completion, a final blessing is offered before the shawl is sent on the way. Some recipients have continued the kindness by making a shawl or donating yarn to the ministry for a shawl for someone else in need. Thus, the blessing ripples from person-to-person, with both the giver and receiver feeling an unconditional embrace of a sheltering, mothering God!” - Prayer Shawl Ministry

Thank you Connie! I love it!
 

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet gift! *hugs*

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a beautiful gift you received.
To think that prayers were said for you and your daughter as it was knitted for you. That is a very generous gift of love.

I want you to know that I do keep all of my baby lost mothers in my prayers. I can't always keep up with reading all the time but you are always on my mind.

With Out My Punkin said...

How thoughtful and very beautiful. I have never heard of that before.

Holly said...

The shawl is beautiful!

Check out my Etsy Shop!